Sunday, July 28, 2013

The change comes slower now

The change comes slower now. I started this journey on April 21, 2013. Some 14 weeks into the process, the change comes slower now.

Today's weigh-in was a bit disappointing. 223. Yes, this is better, but it's not the level of progress that I have come accustomed to. It's not a set back, but it's a bit disappointing.

There is more work to be done.

So, what started this journey for me? Yes, there was the picture I referenced in a post at the beginning of the journey. But there was more.

The week prior to this post I had an appointment with my eye doctor. (Ok, not a normal eye doctor, this is the doc I see on a regular basis for my glaucoma.) The nurse had me weigh in and then informed me that they would be placing a note in my medical file and informing my health insurance carrier that I was SEVERELY OBESE.

What? An eye doctor determining that I was obese? There was anger at the initial conversation. What right did the eye doctor have to make such a determination? Why were they required to report this to my health insurance provider? The anger. The frustration.

Then reality had to set in.

Yes, a BMI that categorized me as SEVERELY OBESE was something to be concerned about.

It was not my eye doctors fault that I was in this state. It was not my insurance provider's fault that this condition is a warning of greater health concerns ahead.

Time for that reality check.

I had made the decisions that had brought me to this point. I must make the decisions to make a healthier me.

Taking steps forward, one day at a time.

As of today, I have reduced my BMI by 5 points. 6 more points to reach "normal weight". It's a goal.

No comments: